Tuesday, December 11, 2012

HOW TO MAKE CREPE PAPER FLOWERS

My husband and I decided to try something different with our wedding – we went with crepe paper flowers.  Not a single bush was harmed for our wedding.  It was a very time consuming idea that required hours upon hours of burnt fingers and QT with my bridesmaids, but in the end I felt like it was worth the blood, sweat and tears!  Hopefully my girls feel the same way!

Here is a photo of my bridal bouquet – arranged entirely by my bridesmaid, Crystal:
 













For my bridal party we created purple and blue bouquets:














We also created enough flowers to fill all 28 guest tables:




















After much time had passed and different attempts were made at figuring out the most advantageous route to make hundreds (maybe thousands) of these flowers, the following procedure below proved to be the fastest:

What you will need:
3) Your choice of color/size beads
4) Hot glue gun

STEPS:
1) If the stems are too long, cut them in half.  (I did.)
2) You want to use sturdy crepe paper for the petals.  I bought mine at www.papermart.com.  The paper was affordable and the color selection was superb.  Not to mention the shade of the front is different to the back which gives it a really nice effect when the flowers are put together.
3) Cut a strip of crepe paper length-wise about 2 inches wide and fold it in half until you get a rectangle or square about 2.5 inches high.  With the paper I have I folded it in half three times.

 


  











4) Cut a petal shape like so, making sure the lines on the paper are vertical.  And be sure to cut the petal starting from the bottom middle and not the corner so the petals are easy to spread.  You can eyeball this or create a template – but I eyeballed all of mine.














5) Put a drop of hot glue at the pointy end of the petal and attach it to the stem about half an inch down from the top, overlapping each petal as you go.  I glue mine on with each petal tiled a few degrees more than the last. Via pictures 2 and 3 below, wrap the entire width of the base/pointy end of each petal around the stem. Five petals should do.  


                                                 














6) Spread the petals so the flower opens up.
 












7) Take the bead of your choice and hot glue it to the center of your flower – two or three will suffice, depending on the size of your bead.  When your making hundreds of flowers I found the fastest way was to drop the hot glue directly into the center of the flower, then place the beads inside.













If any of my instructions are unclear, please ask!  Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment