Wednesday, January 16, 2013

DIY WINTER SCARF

For those winter weddings here's a great idea for your bridesmaids!  A DIY infinity scarf!  Not only does it help with the budget, it comes from the <3 so it SCREAMS "i love you."  And don't feel restricted to only giving these out for your wedding.  You can give one away as a Christmas gift, birthday gift, or thanks-for-visiting gift (which is what I did this past weekend).  

What you need:
* Fabric (I used fleece since it's super comf and doesn't fray)
* Scissors
* About 3-5 minutes of time ;-)

STEP 1:
When you buy the fabric it will, of course, be folded in half lengthwise.  Leave it like that!  With the fabric laid out horizontally I made my first cut vertically about 15" wide.  Feel free to cut yours to YOUR desired length - this is just what I did.




















STEP 2:
Because I just wanted my infinity scarf to be one panel, I then cut along the original fold so I had two pieces equal in length and 15" wide.  (Hope that makes sense.)  Take one panel and fold it in half lengthwise.  You then want to cut strips at the bottom about 1" wide and 1.5" long.  As the fabric is folded in half, be sure that you're cutting through BOTH ends.  Don't be too concerned about the measurements - be as sloppy as you want, really.















STEP 3:
Now take the scarf and do what I did - put it in between your legs so the cut edges are visible (see below).  Take the first pair of cut edges on one end and double knot them together.  Nothing fancy, just two ties.  You can continue down the line and double-tie every set of cuts OR you can do what I did to save time and just double-knot every other set of cuts.   




















STEP 4:
After you quickly go down the line double-knotting, you should end up with your final product:




















And there you go.  It doesn't seem like much but this is how it looks when it's worn:




















Cool, right?  If you want a double infinity scarf go ahead and disregard "cutting along the original fold" in Step 2.  I find that the double infinity scarves work best w/ a thinner, lighter fleece.  If you can't tell, the one I used was a bit on the thicker side - which is why I think it looked pretty decent as a single infinity scarf.

Good luck making your own!  What's cool is how many you'll be able to make with just one yard of fabric.  With a more masculine fabric (i.e., a camo pattern), this can easily be a nice gift for an oh-so-stylish dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment